Before putting the floor boards back down I had a few issues to address. The main one was the holes. I had lots of little rivet holes everywhere that I wanted to plug. To solve this issue I bought some metal epoxy putty. It's really cool stuff. You break a bit off and mix it together between your fingers and apply to the holes. It's like a really cool Play-Dough, not that Play-Dough was ever uncool. Apparently when this stuff cures you can drill in to it and even tap it. Never tried so I wouldn't know but it did very well and plugging these holes.
Next up was the three huge holes left over from the gas storage locker. The best thing for this would have been to weld a plate over the top or from underneath. I do not have welding kit at the moment and was impatient so I made my own fix that works. I used a jigsaw to cut the holes square. Tidied up the edges with a file and applied a rust prevention paint.
I then cut a section of the wood flooring to fill the gap. This wood has a waterproof covering already on it. I applied a strong glue to the metal and placed the wood in the gap. Once dried I covered all the edges and gaps with a silicon sealant to stop water ingress into the van. I know it's not perfect but it was a cheap fix and in my head it works. I can still get underneath the van later and weld a plate over the hole. So far there has been no problems with water coming up through the hole.
I bought a high top van for a reason. I want to be able to stand up easily and be comfortable so building up the floor was not an option when it came to insulation. Once the van floor was sorted, fixed up and cleaned I used a double sided foil insulation. This comes in a roll and is very easy to apply. I used a carpet adhesive to stop it moving around. This is the only insulation I applied to the floor. Heat rises and I feel applying more insulation would not be massively useful. I still have reflective materials to bounce heat back in and the cold out, but more importantly it acts as a barrier to stop cold bridging which brings the condensation.
The ply boards that came with the van are perfect. I cleaned them up and placed them straight down on the foil insulation. You're suppose to have a gap between the foil insulation for it to work properly. The way I got round this was placing the boards straight onto the floor. Where the floor is corrugated it naturally creates a void for the insulation. It's no different if I were to put wooden runners down instead, but this way I keep as much of the height as possible which is my main concern.
I trimmed up the boards around the edges near the sliding door and didn't bother fixing them down. They are a perfect fit and not shifting anywhere and there's no point in creating extra work. Plus the furnishings will be holding the boards down anyway. They're not going anywhere.
To make them look pleasing I decided on a vinyl flooring. It's fairly cheap, easy to cut to size and looks great. Plus, I won't lose any height having a flooring like this.
Below is a list of products I used on this part of the build. If you like the content please consider buying the products through these links provided. I receive a tiny percentage in commission for every purchase which goes into the running of this website. Don't forget to stick your email address in the box below for an occasional newsletter if you havn't done so already. Thank you.